Monday, July 12, 2010

is nothing sacred?

My great friend Donna sent me an article from the New York Times (July 11) about a local "cook-off" here in Portland, Oregon where several chefs are presented with a pig to do with as they wish--cooking, curing, serving to the (I believe) $100. per ticket guests who decided to partake of this Roman Circus. That in itself, is not so goofy--in fact my friend Therese and I had actually thought about going since Portland is such a great meat town.
It turns out that two of the attendees got into an argument over what constitutes local--sustainable and all those other buzzwords that the food elitists seem to adore, which I sometimes am tempted to commit suicide (or murder) if I have to hear again. Apparently one or more of the pigs did not have the appropriate Oregon, Willamette Valley credentials and was actually, possibly from Kansas--God forbid. So these two pig headed (I couldn't resist it) bird brained, horses asses got into a fist fight!!! And guess what? That begged the question: what happens when California or Washington berries are added to supplement the local Oregon berries--they're thinking this ACTUALLY happened in some Portland restaurants! Throw those restaurant owners into jail next to Bernie Madoff or Charles Manson. God in heaven.
Enough. Let's just say that as an operating room nurse in a level one trauma center--those jerks
at the pig fest have no clue as to what anything means--if those kinds of arguments are the problems that constitute their lives--they have it made--I suggest that might have a cup of coffee, eat a bag of chips with a baloney sandwich and ponder their good fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment