Sunday, May 23, 2010

how is this possible?

It's possible because like any true craft, you understand the principles, you don't memorize the recipes. There are three generations of people in this country who can't cook. Wonder why we have an obesity epidemic? If you can't cook you will NEVER control your weight. So, my objective here is to give some good simple (note: I didn't say easy) ways to feed yourself, your family and your friends. You might want to read Micheal Pollens little tome called food rules to get started. As time goes on, I'm going to give you some serious opinions, help and ideas about what it means to us as individuals and as a community when we seriously consider what we eat.
I'm not talking about fru-fru presentations on a plate, or ordering hams from Spain, or deciding what $50. bottle of wine goes with what piece of bone marrow. I'm talking about the enjoyment of food and love of cooking that has sustained me for my entire life, the Italian family I grew up in.
I'm going to try not to rant, but that might be fun as well.
And yes, I have cooked professionally for over 30 years--but that's not what qualifies me here.
More soon.

2 comments:

  1. Love that you are writing!! I'm cooking Sunday dinner right now, got the onions sweating, the rice cooking (do NOT take that lid off-which you taught me!) and marinating the flank steaks. Just waiting another hour when it's civilized to pour myself a glass of wine while setting the table. God, we cooked so much together and I learned so much from you. I'm one of your original fans!! Love, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marietta, good to hear from you. I generally use cook books as guides, such as to get suggestions on herbs, spices, etc. to use and adapt to what we have on hand. We just signed up for organic produce delivery from a local farm. So far the fruits/veges have more flavor than those in stores or even the farmers market, which encourages us to eat more of them while holding off on the packaged snacks. Also, opening the "surprises" in the box is fun as the contents change with each delivery. Best, Eugenia

    ReplyDelete