Sunday, May 30, 2010

There's one other thing I didn't mention when I was writing about salt--that is: salt your salad greens in the bowl and let them sit a moment before tossing your salad with the dressing. I know, I know you're afraid they will wilt and become soggy. They won't. I learned this process form the French chef, Madeline Kamen--although I usually don't reveal my sources.
My friend Diane Starnick used to say the salads at my restaurant were so good because they had enough dressing--well, the idea here is that the salted lettuce takes the dressing in--this way you don't need as much and the flavor permeates the greens.
And, while I am on the salad subject--if you are using tomatoes in salad, cut them, add sliced onion if you are using it and some torn basil leaves--and some dried oregano. sprinkle with olive oil and salt. When you are ready to toss the salad, put the greens on top, salt them toss and then add the dressing--usually vinigrette for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment